Vanier is an urban neighbourhood facing unique challenges and pressures, and we are determined to achieve positive change and development with everyone in mind.
The ever-busy Sustainable Development and Transportation Committee loudly and proudly gives voice to Vanier residents at the City level. We keep a watchful eye on City plans and projects affecting Vanier, from the small (curb cuts and bus stops landscaping) to the enormous (the City’s Official Plan). We review projects proposed by developers and work to bring residents’ concerns forward in City planning decisions. For example, we:
- speak on behalf of Vanier residents at the City’s planning and transportation committees
- work with our ward councillor’s team to influence decisions affecting Vanier
- develop local plans for traffic calming, tree planting and renewal projects for our traditional main streets
- provide comments on development proposals and oppose negative impacts such as the Salvation Army mega-shelter
- call for improvements that promote pedestrian and cyclist safety and better transit
- advocate for new parks, public spaces and affordable housing
Do you care about issues like intensification, walkability, cycling and traffic, climate change and green space? Do you like to keep your “ears to the ground” for what’s coming next in our community? We’d be glad to have you pitch in!
Meet every First Monday of the month.
- Riverain Park Public Art: Survey October 14, 2022
- VCA to Sally Ann and City: Stop Shutting our Community Out April 22, 2022
- Salvation Army: “Consulting” but not listening April 6, 2022
- VCA releases Cultural Strategy report March 21, 2022
- Montreal Road: 2022 Update March 15, 2022
- The Highlight apartment building (formerly the Sonia) and new Mayfield sidewalk September 14, 2021
- Virtual Community Consultation for the Proposed Development at 112 Montreal Road June 10, 2021
- The Vanier Community Association Supports the Newly Proposed Southern Boundary between Rideau-Rockcliffe and Rideau-Vanier Wards April 20, 2021
- City of Ottawa’s Letter Regarding Landfills in Vanier May 9, 2020
- Kingsview Park Remediation November 6, 2019