The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members.
Help us help each other. The Safety Committee aims to make Vanier a safe and secure neighbourhood for all. We organize events and activities that promote advocacy, crime prevention and awareness, such the annual Vanier Safety Forum, safety chats, monthly community walkabouts and infrastructure safety audits.
Since the start of the pandemic, we’ve fought alongside the VCA Board for more and better access to testing and vaccination for all of Vanier, especially our more vulnerable populations. We’ve also advocated for:
- reduced speed limits on our roads
- The reform of emergency and non-emergency call centre protocols
- a neighbourhood-wide arson prevention plan
Did you know that the Safety Committee provides resources directly to our community members? We offer tip sheets on common issues (e.g. needle safety and bike theft), free porch lights, and new emergency preparedness tools (coming soon!).
Do you have ideas on how to improve the safety and security of your fellow neighbours? We want to hear from you!
The committee meets on the first Wednesday of every month
- Letter from the VCA to Ottawa Police Services Board February 23, 2022
- Neighbourhood Policing Survey November 6, 2019
- By-Law: VCA asks for more officers and a more proactive approach July 19, 2019
- Congratulations to Emond Neighbourhood Watch November 8, 2018
- Announcement: 30km/h speed limit follow-up questions November 8, 2018