Welcome to Vanier!
Vanier is a historically francophone neighbourhood in the Rideau-Vanier Ward in Ottawa, Ontario. Vanier was amalgamated into Ottawa in 2001.
- 1908: the communities of Janeville, Clarkstown and Clandeboye were joined to form the Village of Eastview.
- 1913: Eastview was incorporated as a town.
- 1963: Eastview becomes a city.
- 1969: Eastview is renamed after the recently deceased Governor General of Canada, Georges Vanier.
- 2019: Vanier celebrated the 50th anniversary of its name: Vanier.
In 1969, in the wake of Canada’s Official Languages Act, the mayor of Eastview at the time, Gérard Grandmaître, initiated the motion to change Eastview’s name. The town is renamed Vanier, chosen in honour of Georges Vanier, the first Francophone to hold the position of Governor General of Canada.
Vanier Community / Vanier in the News
- Message on the occasion of the death of Mrs. Gisèle Lalonde July 27, 2022
- VCA to Sally Ann and City: Stop Shutting our Community Out April 22, 2022
- Salvation Army: “Consulting” but not listening April 6, 2022
- Le Droit – De Vanier à Pékin, du Cirque du Soleil au patinage de vitesse February 16, 2022
- From the Archives: The Mystery of the Richelieu Bunker, solved January 21, 2022
- Vanier Community Unveils New Public Art on Montreal Road December 10, 2021
- 2021 Snowflake Breakfast: $48,000 raised for the Partage Vanier Food Bank December 3, 2021
- Le Droit – Un «cadeau de la vue» pour des gens de la communauté autochtone d’Ottawa December 2, 2021
- Le Droit – Le visage du quartier Vanier se transforme November 26, 2021
- Le Pressoir – Vanier, un quartier à ratisser November 21, 2021