Welcome to Vanier!
Vanier is a historically francophone neighbourhood in the Rideau-Vanier Ward in Ottawa, Ontario. Vanier was amalgamated into Ottawa in 2001.
- 1908: the communities of Janeville, Clarkstown and Clandeboye were joined to form the Village of Eastview.
- 1913: Eastview was incorporated as a town.
- 1963: Eastview becomes a city.
- 1969: Eastview is renamed after the recently deceased Governor General of Canada, Georges Vanier.
- 2019: Vanier celebrated the 50th anniversary of its name: Vanier.
In 1969, in the wake of Canada’s Official Languages Act, the mayor of Eastview at the time, Gérard Grandmaître, initiated the motion to change Eastview’s name. The town is renamed Vanier, chosen in honour of Georges Vanier, the first Francophone to hold the position of Governor General of Canada.
Vanier Community / Vanier in the News
- In Memoriam: Mary Papatsie November 2, 2022
- Leadership for a Liveable Ottawa – Mayoral Debate October 18, 2022
- Riverain Park Public Art: Survey October 14, 2022
- Ward 12 Candidate Questionnaire – 2022 Ottawa Municipal Elections October 9, 2022
- Awesome Arts makes waves in Vanier August 26, 2022
- Le Droit – Garnir la banque alimentaire dans un cimetière August 25, 2022
- Message on the occasion of the death of Mrs. Gisèle Lalonde July 27, 2022
- VCA to Sally Ann and City: Stop Shutting our Community Out April 22, 2022
- Salvation Army: “Consulting” but not listening April 6, 2022
- Le Droit – De Vanier à Pékin, du Cirque du Soleil au patinage de vitesse February 16, 2022